Translate

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Theory of Byrds

Playground in Butterpot Provincial Park, dead of winter

The Byrds sang in Turn, Turn, Turn "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose, under heaven".

That's sometimes hard to accept, like today. I was itching to get out for a paddle, even a short paddle. I looked out the window, saw the whitecaps on the water, thought I could just put-in the harbour at St. Philips and paddle around there. I hem'd and haw'd. I asked Sherry - I feel uncomfortable with you going by yourself she said.

I looked out the window some more. Thought what would people who saw me paddling alone think. What's that idiot doing out there in this. It wouldn't be a problem if Stan was with me ... they'd probably say what are those idiots (plural) doing out there. Its easier with company.

I didn't go. Was I chicken? Maybe I wasn't committed enough or maybe just listenned to the voice of reason. Paddling by yourself in cold weather and water with whitecaps isn't rational. OK, I can accept that. There'll be times yet this winter when I'll have company or the water will not pose such a risk.

Like a playground in winter doesn't draw kids ... there is a time to every purpose. Turn, turn, turn.

Tony :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment