Translate

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Achin' for the Bacon (Cove)

Today my kayak was a time machine. I've paddled here before with a group but today I was on my own with a plan to have a look for a geological feature known as an angular unconformity in Bacon Cove. I had been there on a geology class field trip almost 40 years ago and I wanted to check out if could find it again.

The first time, in 1971, was with fellow geology classmates. I can't remember a lot about the trip so it was going to be a challenge. I knew that if I saw it I would recognize the location. Question was, where exactly. I stopped in Bacon Cove on the first beach for lunch and looked around but nothing looked familiar. A couple of hunderd metres further another beach and this looked vaguely familiar. I landed and sure enough, there it was. I sat and took some pictures; it was really weird. So much water under the bridge and yet the mind recognized the location after just one visit almost 40 years ago.

After a while, back to the present. OK Scotty, beam me up and I was back at the take-out after a great day paddling. You'll see from some of the pictures following what I mean.

Tony :-)
Two churches. One traditional, the other on the water in my Necky Looksha IV. The church wasn't open for business today as it was Thursday but I had a spiritual day anyway.

Wharves done up in Conception Harbour. Looks like a nice place to socialize in the summer but not so inviting at this time of year.

Some rugged coastline along the way. Here some big rocks have tumbled down from the cliff face to land in the water. Glad I wasn't going by here when that happenned.

Small sea-stack after leaving Conception Harbour.

The reason for my trip to Bacon Cove. What is represented here is an angular unconformity where a lens of basal Cambrian conglomerate lies unconformably on Conception group siltstone. More on this in a subsequent post - its very interesting stuff, honest!

2 comments:

  1. I sure am glad someone was enjoying the sun today. Sounds like you were in your element Tony! :-)

    STan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great day indeed Stan. I'm picking my days when its safe to go alone and all the while getting used to being out there alone. The first time alone I felt somewhat uncomfortable but like anything I have to get used to it. Careful too not to stick my neck out too far.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete