Translate

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

GoPro shake down paddle

I purchased a GoPro Hero 4 Silver a week ago and spent the first 5 days learning the various settings.  Sunday, I took it out on the water for a shake down paddle.  It was a simple mount to start off - just a mount on my helmet.

The buttons on the GoPro are a nice size but I wondered how it would work operating the camera on the top of my head with neoprene mitts on.  As soon as I got on the water I tried it.  I didn't feel like I had enough confidence that the camera was on the right settings etc, etc so I remove my helmet, turned it on,  pressed the record button and put the helmet back on.  Too much operational overhead for me.

Anyway, it was only a trial run with a simple mount with the intention of seeing the video output.  Unknowingly, I was recording video and stills (one every 5 seconds).  So, I ended up with 400 stills.

More on my GoPro adventure later but for now I was interested in comparing the quality of the stills taken with the GoPro against the Olympus Stylus Tough 6020.  Both cameras were in sync time wise so I was able to compare the same shot, more or less.  Here are the results:


This is a shot of Dean with the Olympus, resized from 4288 x 3216 to 1000 x 750.


This is the GoPro still resized from 3840 x 2160 to 1000 x 563.

The GoPro has a wider angle lens so it captured more even though both pictures were captured at the exact same time (maybe nanoseconds apart?).  The video quality is stunning (hope to edit some later) and the still are also good quality, I just have to get closer if I want to replicate the Olympus field of view.

If you click on the shots to enlarge and compare I believe you will agree the GoPro captured a sharper, more crisp photo of the same action.

I think its going to get interesting as I gain more experience with the GoPro and develop more and different mountings.

No comments:

Post a Comment