Translate

Friday, September 6, 2013

Spit is the answer


My Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 camera is gone for repairs.  Its cheaper than buying a new camera.  In the meantime, I've been using a Nikon Coolpix to capture images of my kayak adventures.  I take lots because when the lens cover gets wet, the resulting pictures look smudged.

I googled the problem.  The answer is spit.  Thursday evening, while Dean was doing a backdeck scramble on recovery, I tested it.


The picture taking procedure now goes: take camera out of PFD pocket, turn on, lick, immerse in water and shoot.  Its quite an involved procedure but appears to work fine.


The spit keeps a film of water on the lens cover which then becomes part of the optics.

I was happy to see the results when I downloaded the shots from the evening.  I'll still takes lots of shots to make sure I have some keepers, like this unaltered shot as the sun was going down.  Unusual colours but sharp in any case.

No comments:

Post a Comment