Translate

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Stayin' in shape

Snow means go

Winter is not paddle season for most. A growing group of us here believe it is.

Passing up on paddling in winter means having to get back in paddle shape in the spring. It doesn't take long to lose it so today I took advantage of pleasant conditions to keep myself in paddling tune. It stopped snowing just as I put-in.

Dusting of snow

Before long I was cruising past snow dusted trees and rocks at a comfortable speed of 7 - 7.5 kms/hr.

Topsail Head

By the time I reached Topsail Head I had built up considerable heat. I was burning off some of the holiday cheer!

Low ceiling

I paddled past Topsail Beach until I had 7.5 kms on the GPS. Turing back, Topsail Head was hiding in the low ceiling.

Back again

Today was a sprint. It was exercise but I enjoyed the rhythm as the paddle sliced effortlessly through the water. No shots of other paddlers and not much colour, sorry, exercise can be pretty bland but I was glad I went. 985 kilometers to go!

4 comments:

  1. I wasnt too far away. I paddled down holyrood-chapel cove area. I figured most kayaked in the winter where water doesnt turn to ice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff Lee. A few have paddled before in winter but the last couple of years its gotten a bit bigger. We are lucky that the water doesn't freeze over here like it does up along.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cant get over the difference in snow from one side of the bay to the other. I guess where the sun is that side your on isnt getting a lot on that side of the shore. Holyrood was like a summers day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know Lee. I put-in around 10:30 as the snow stopped falling. It wasn't much and it wasn't old. Maybe Holyrood benefited from a micro-climate yesterday?

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete