Translate

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Rotator cuff abuse

Exploring

Last Sunday was the 107th time in my kayak this calendar year. Hundreds of kilmeters paddled and thousands of rolls have taken a toll on the old body. Then an awkward night sleep laying on my shoulder coupled with chronic overuse has left me with rotator cuff tendinitis.

A dull ache tells me at least I haven't caused a complete tear; the joint is just inflamed. Doctor Internet prescribes ibuprofen, ice, rest and codman exercises.

Its an inconvenience. I can't make a club paddle today. One doesn't realize what one has until it can't be done.

So, it is what it is. But, what can be done to prevent it in future? One preventative measure is to do a proper warm-up before setting off in the boat. That allows the joints to be loosened up and lubricated. Too often its just a matter of jump in the kayak and off I go. Not anymore.

1 comment:

  1. 'But, what can be done to prevent it in future?'
    Yoga? A good (!) yoga teacher can help you to built up stability and flexibility in the joints. But be carefull, it can become another addiction ;)

    ReplyDelete