Translate

Friday, October 7, 2011

Birds' eye view

Lower end of Trinity Bay

I like to print maps of the coastlines I paddle. So do a lot of people I paddle with.

The maps I usually print are 1:20,000 for the greatest detail. There's a lot of detail but I've found I'm losing the bigger picture. I've found myself sometimes looking outside of the map boundaries wondering it some far away cape is such and such.

This weekend a group of us are kayak camping in the St. Jones Without/Deer Harbour area. I've decided to print with less detail (1:200,000) that includes the whole bay. It will give me a better overview of everything around me.

Sometimes the devil is in the detail and sometimes its not.

2 comments:

  1. Tony \i have all topo maps 1:50 000 for the avalon if you ever want a loaner map. I usually transfer key things from my nautical maps onto the topo for trips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lee, I'll keep that in mind.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete