Translate

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A helping hand

Paul with an assisted rescue for Mike

Spent a couple of hours with sister Kathy at Topsail Pond today where she practiced her paddle float rescue. After she had enough I suggested we do an assisted rescue before heading home.

After dumping out her boat I lined the boats by stern to bow and asked her to climb in as I held the rafted boats steady. She couldn't get herself out of the water; she may have been exhausted. What to do?

There are lots of options like using a stir-up. Don't have one (Note to self: acquire). I reached across both boats, grabbed her PFD and pulled her onto her rear deck and it went smoothly from there.

That's nothing special but a beginner may not have thought of that option. And that's the reason for this post.

3 comments:

  1. Tony: Due to her MS, my wife has reduced arm and upper body strength. I sometimes worry how I might get her back in the boat after a capsize. I think it's something we (she and I) will have to work on.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS! I am not a fan of any rescue that requires a special piece of gear like a stirrup - with the exception being the paddle float - You followed rule number 13, adapt, improvise, overcome! well done.

    Are you familiar with the 'hand of god' rescue? or the bow between? both work well in that situation.

    But bravo, well done....

    PO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean, there are strategies for putting people with little upper body strength, or even injured, back in their boats. I'm sure you and Cheryl will work on them.

    You're right PO, and thanks. Sometimes time doesn't allow for getting a gadget set-up, the rescuee isn't familiar with the technique, rescuee confused etc etc. I guess its important to have and practice a full bag of tricks that can be employed as circumstances warrant.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete