Translate

Saturday, June 13, 2009

To ballast or not

Malcolm mailed me earlier in the week with a comment that I could benefit by ballasting my Nordkapp. He told me Doug Alderson felt all kayaks should be ballasted. Makes sense, as people of different body weights are paddling the same model of kayak.

At 65 kg, I don't carry enough weight to properly nest the boat in the water so some ballast is required to optomize handling. More weight - more stability, but also more water displacement and consquently more work to move the boat forward.

Its a balancing act and I think it depends on the individual. My friend Stan outweighs me by 25 kg and puts another 25 kg of gear in his Nordkapp. It sits considerably lower in the water. But if I added 50 kgs I'd be working way too hard just to keep up with him. The right amount seems to be somewhere about 10 kg for me. Now all I have to do is get the lead ballast and make up something to secure it behind the seat.

Thanks for your help with this Malcolm (above paddling with his new wing blade) and I always appreciate your advice on all things paddling.

Tony :-)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the kind words. Just a small correction. Doug Alderson suggested that the Nordkapp, which was designed to be paddled with weight in it additional to the paddler, should be ballasted. For many kayaks, my guess is that Doug would say such ballasting isn't needed.

    ReplyDelete