Translate

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Theory of halite

St. Philips harbour at low tide

Halite is the mineral form of sodium chloride (NaCl) commonly known as salt. Salt is sold as unrefined (sea salt), refined (table salt) and iodized salt. I don't know why we don't just call it halite as in "pass the halite, please".

Yesterday, I gave my new Nordkapp its first taste of salt. I'd spent a few hours in fresh water getting the feel of the boat. There was no wind and calm water, a perfect day to make another baby step. Maybe all this care is unnecessary but it was a great feeling let her stretch her legs.

Personally, I'm on a low sodium diet in an effort to control my blood pressure. The best thing for a kayak - a steady diet of salt.

Tony :-)
While my kayak is not as stealthy as Stan's all black Nordkapp, I was able to creep up and catch these seagulls before they took off.

Pocket beach between St. Philips and Topsail. The Topsail fault runs through here and you can see the rocks have been mangled in the fault zone. It appears there's been some remelting of rocks.

2 comments: