Translate

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Blowin' in the wind


This morning it was blowing westerly 25 knots, gusting to 35 and cold.  A day paddle was out of the question but Dean, Shane and I spent an hour and a half pounding into the wind and waves to catch surf rides back.


It was the first time in months that we were out in those conditions.  At first I felt a little uneasy until I found my sea legs.  We haven't paddled a lot in conditions this year; I felt a little rusty.


The west wind blows directly into St. Philips so there was no place to hide to catch a breather.


After an hour and a half Dean and Shane lingered near the entrance to the harbour as if to say they have enough.  I caught one final surf ride and called it a day.

As we were putting our gear away Dean volunteered he felt uncomfortable in the wind and waves at first.  I was relieved to hear that I wasn't alone in taking some time to find my groove.  But, find it I did and caught some good surf rides.

We had coffee in the restaurant overlooking the cove as usual.  We had gotten some comments from onlookers that we were crazy to be out on the water under the circumstances.  Looking out from the warmth of the restaurant and seeing the whitecaps we didn't think we were crazy, we just saw it as a sense of accomplishment.  Thanks to the guys for sharing the morning.

10 comments:

  1. Well put Tony! A sense of accomplishment is exactly the feeling! ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, after not paddling much this year it took me 20 to 30 minutes to really feel comfortable in the higher wind/waves again. About an hour into it my shoulder was feeling pretty sore, so I had to reign it in for the last half hour... it was fun until it hurt... I'm gettin' old and broke up boys!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're getting older but not old. You have to take it easy on your shoulder until you get over the damage you did bumping along the beach rocks in Chance cove earlier this year.

      Delete
  3. Wow!!! If you guys were uneasy then I made the right choice for Gary!😛

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just at the start Cathy for about 10 minutes but nothing unusual given we haven't been out in that stuff for a long time. After 10 minutes or so it was like riding a bike - you never forget.

      It was a slog and a real workout to paddle out into the wind for a short surf ride back but worth the effort.

      Delete
  4. C'mon Cathy... you just gotta HTFU!!! You think Freya would have been put off by a bit of wind?? LOL. You have to take advantage when you can to get on the water in higher wind/waves to become a better paddler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like she was concerned for Gary!

      We have to get out in that more often to keep our edge.

      Delete
  5. Yeah,I'd have been there if it wasn't worrying about Gary! lol :)
    But you are right Dean... and I will be there next time... white knuckles and all! :)... and loving it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you know I was joking about Gary! You guys are awesome in all conditions.

      Delete