Translate

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Winnie the Pooh and the blustery day


Here's a screen shot of an NTV webcam overlooking Bell Island Tickle on this past Saturday.  Sustained winds, at their height, were at 106 kms/hr (58 knots) and a maximum wind gust recorded of 159 kms/hr (87 knots).  The wind whipped the water up into a frenzy with horizontal streams of water as it blew the tops of the waves.

Needless to say there was no paddling.

It knocked out power to 20,000 homes, mine included, for 2 and 1/2 days.  With temperatures outside of -10C it became a little bit of an inconvenience as temperatures in the house dropped accordingly.  But, its never so bad that it can't get worse as two of my neighbours found out.  The wind took their roof shingles and tossed them to the wind.

So, without power I was forced to camp in the house.  My MSR Dragonfly stove performed yeoman's service as did some of my other camping stuff.  Finally we have out power back and I have internet access again to explain my absence.

Some of us have talked for some time about winter camping.  After this recent experience I think I will need some convincing.  Maybe next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment