Translate

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Top 10 paddles of 2010 - #10

Its getting near dark

A short practice paddle at St. Philips on 7 October is my #10 paddle of the year. If I were compiling a list of scary paddles, it would be #1.

It was windy with winds off the land at SE yet the wind waves were coming out of a SSW direction. We paddled towards St. Thomas Cove where we turned to go back to St. Philips. I dropped my skeq to surf the 1 metre wind waves. Clyde and Tobias stayed near the cliffs; I a bit further out into the bay. Gradually, the wind pushed me further offshore developing some separation between us.

Darkness fell and I lost sight of the other two. It was un-nerving. Starboard wind gusts threatening to knock me over with wind waves overtaking me on my rear quarter, all in darkness. I was on my own should anything happen.

Near St. Philips I lifted my skeq and the wind pushed the stern downwind allowing me to paddle into the cove where I met Clyde and Tobias coming down the coast. I felt a tremendous relief.

Racking the boats took three of us, two to hold the boat onto the roof rack and one to tie it on. The wind was that strong. A number of lessons were learned.

2 comments:

  1. Tony,

    Tobias and I were also very relieved to see you emerge from the darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lesson learned Clyde.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete