Translate

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Theory of stress junkies

Ice breaking

The wind had come up slightly after I left the put-in and it had blown what ice there was in the harbour into the entrance. My first thought was to try and get thru it and into open water just beyond. I poked into it and thought the better of it.

Usually I'd have to prove to myself that I could get thru it if I wanted to but there was a boat offloading at the wharf and I considered how stupid I'd look to people working there if I got ice bound. And, why take a chance on spoiling what was a beautiful day on the water. I backed out and found less congested water until there was fully open water.

I have what is called a Type A personality. I don't have all the traits but I am impatient, time conscious, somewhat competitive and often incapable of relaxation. Type B personailites on the other hand are patient, relaxed and easygoing. Type A individuals are described as stress junkies.

I'm trying to hybridize myself to be a Type AB personality because stress is not good. Its hard though to break old habits. Kayaking should be a stress reliever, why get into situations where it causes stress? OK, so I'm learning, ever so slowly.

Tony :-)

The "industrial complex" at Long Pond in Conception Bay, Newfoundland. Whereas the harbour entrance was full of ice, the wind had freed the waters inside of ice. I'm not fond of scenes like this but the sun behind me made for pleasing light and tones of white and blue.

2 comments:

  1. interesting - i would never have figured you for a type a, tony....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I must be hard to read then Alison! Or you're joking? Calm on the outside, a boiling cauldron on the inside?

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete