Translate

Friday, March 6, 2009

Theory of car making

On the ferry to Bell Island for a paddle with my current mode of automobile

I remember the woes of the oil embargo in the early 1970's (I think 1973) that forced Detroit to make smaller cars. After those difficulties passed they started making big vehicles again. They made large vehicles because that's what people wanted. Fast forward to 2008 when gasoline prices spiked in Newfoundland at around $1.50 / litre. Sales of big gas guzzlers tanked again and now the Big 3 of Detroit find themselves in trouble again.

I think the car manufacturing sector and government should have said to the populace, small cars are better for you and therefore big vehicles won't be available for purchase anymore. No fair? Well, government legislates all sorts of things for our own good don't they?

The drop in demand for big vehicles coupled with a downturn in the economy has put me in a position where, as a taxpayer, I'm going to become hopefully a shareholder in GM. Shareholder hopefully in the sense I hope they don't just give away the money.

But I have to assume some responsibility for the Big 3's problems. I did a quick calculation of what I've contributed to their demise. Since 1973, when I bought my first (used) vehicle, I've spent approximately $19,000 on automotive transportation. That doesn't include purchase of vehicles for my wife but strictly what I drove myself. That works out to a whopping $525 per year.

If you don't make it at a reasonable price, I won't buy it.

Tony :-)

2 comments:

  1. Let the free market work I'd say. No way the government should give these companies tax payer money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try and get a break at the dealer hey what! They don't mind stiffing the customer and now look who needs a sympathetic ear. I agree Brian, someone out there will take over the useful bits and dispose of the rest. Hopefully something at bit more in tune with the times will emerge.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete