Translate

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Theory of diversion

Stan getting his shot of the rare Ivory Gull






Where the Ivory Gull lives and where we saw it


On Sunday past Stan and myself were out for a leisurely paddle out of Holyrood, Newfoundland. On the return into Holyrood we happenned upon a biologist who was out photographing a rare visitor to our area - the Ivory Gull. We probably passed it on the way out but without the eyes of a biologist, maybe mistook it for the ordinary common gull.

It breeds in the high arctic and only migrates short distances south in the autumn. It spends the winter in northern latitudes along the edge of the pack ice. In 1998 the breeding population of Ivory Gulls was estimated at 500 - 700 birds and thought to be in decline. So, we were indeed treated to a special occasion of sorts. We sat floating in our boats watching until it flew out of sight.

I wonder how it got here and I think there's a metaphor in it for me. Sometimes I get myself caught with too many irons in the fire and I'm scrambling to attend to each of them. Enjoying neither as I put pressure on myself to deal with the overload. I do have my eyes on the prize, on what I want to be occupied with, but like the Ivory Gull, I sometimes get diverted. Its times like this that bring things back into focus and the need to drop the distractions. Thank you wayward traveller and god-speed.

Tony :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment