Translate

Friday, January 2, 2009

Theory of detachment


Destruction of a bog by all terrain vehicles

The Concise Oxford Dictionary gives one definition of "detachment" as selfish isolation. I believe that's what this senseless destruction of a bog represents. This bog is just off of an abandoned road that leads to the sea on the east coast of the Avalon Peninsula in Newfoundland. There's absolutely no need for the all terrain vehicles to access the bog as the road is passable and perfectly suited to those vehicles.

I think it just represents an attitude that some people have towards the environment. They don't see it as belonging to them, they don't have a stake in it so there's no need to protect it and to hell with everyone else.

What got me going on this was watching "An Inconvenient Truth" last night. I'm aware of all the science and discussion on the subject of climate change but never saw it presented all in one place so nicely bundled.

The attitude of society in general is the same as the yahoos who caused the destruction in the bog. The developed world is too dependant on non-renewable energy and too selfish to make a sacrifice to try an correct the upward trend of greenhouse gases. They think it won't be our problem. It will have an impact on future generations but selfishly we carry on as normal and pass the buck.

Sometimes I feel powerless to effect change because the government of the country must make the macro decisions and government just doesn't listen to its citizens anymore. But I can make a difference at my, micro personal level. I can carpool to get my boat to the put-in, I can drive slower, I can take the boat out at the same place I put-in so I don't need to shuttle the car etc. etc.

As kayakers we have a sensitivity towards the environment. Lets do our part and paddle with a clear conscience.

Tony :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment