Translate

Sunday, August 20, 2017

In memory of Brian


This morning the Newfoundland and Labrador Division of the Canadian Mental Health Association held their Tickle Swim for Mental Health.  The event is a 5 km swim in ocean water between Portugal Cove and Bell Island.

The call went out to the kayaking community to provide on water support for the swimmers.  I believe the swimmers numbered 21 and 24 kayakers attended.  One kayaker for each swimmer and three to act as floaters.  We arrived at Portugal Cove in the early morning hours before the sun had fully risen.


The swimmers huddled on the beach waiting to commence the swim; supporters stood on the breakwater while ...


we were ready to match up with individual swimmers.

Brian was a friend of mine who took his own life on 29 November 2003.  I met Brian while training in the gym.


And they were off at 7:15.

Brian was the type of person everyone takes an immediate liking to.  He was the life of the gym when he was there; always cracking a joke and laughing.


The wind started off calm but there was still  bit of chop to get through.

On my 50th birthday party he came with a custom baked cake, some oddball gifts and a bottle of Lambs rum.  He was the type of person who'd take a few drinks and leave the rest of the bottle.  Kind beyond words.


Five kms and two hours later the tail end of the fastest swimmers reached the beach on Bell Island and the end of his swim with cheers and applause.

Brian was the last person anyone would think would take his own life.  I can still see him on the last Friday I saw him.  He shouted out and waved as he left the gym.  Saturday I got a call he was gone. 


There were still swimmers in the water so I paddled back to see if I could help with them.  Roy has in support of this girl that was finding the swim was taking forever.  We paddled on either side to offer encouragement.

I'm not saying Brian suffered from a mental illness because up to 98% of persons with a mental illness do not commit suicide.


Almost three hours after setting out her swim came to an end as she was greeted with cheers, applause and her supporters.  I know she suffered the last kilometer and to not give in deserves so much respect.

But more than 90% of people who commit suicide have been diagnosed with a mental illness.


The swimmers took the ferry back to Portugal Cove while almost all the kaykers paddled back.

I was glad I helped out but most of all, I developed a great deal of respect for those in the water.

Brian used to raise Cornish hens.  He wouldn't have them slaughtered when they were, you know, Cornish hen size.  He'd grow them as large as he could before getting them processed.  One day when I came out of the gym I found one on the seat of my vehicle.  I found it tragic that he would do that but not be able to ask me, or anyone, for help.

What can we do?  We could learn about signs of mental health issues and maybe, just maybe, find a way to reach someone who is having trouble.  Here's a link to to the Canadian Mental Health Association.

I think of Brian often, never more so than this morning.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to remember your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony this is beautiful. Your volunteering and your remembrance. What a friend he had in you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, we had a great friendship together. He is still missed after all these years.

      Delete