Translate

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Paddling in the snow

Snowing

Brian, Clyde, Dean, Lee and I met at St. Philips with the initial intention to play in waves expected to be generated by northerly winds. The wind didn't materialize so we paddled north knowing we'd have the wind at our backs for the return in case it did kick up.

It was snowing lightly and it built up on the deck as we prepared to launch.

Streaks

Snowflakes streaked the picture like a time exposure of a starry night.

Brian

Snow stung the eyes as we paddled into the little bit of wind there was.

Dean

We were not fazed in the least. It was padding in an environment with conditions close to those expected in the ancestral home of the kayak.

Lee

Dressing for the weather makes all the difference.

The four horsemen

The guys lined up side by side.

Clyde

No sign of Bell Island hidden in the snow.

What weather?

Paddling into the blowing snow it built up on my PFD. I love it!!!

We paddled a familiar coast but it wasn't boring by a long shot. There's always something to add interest. Today it was a bit of blowing snow and unusually high water. The high water made it possible to get through some spots inaccessible otherwise.

I'm sure people I passed on the road to the put-in questioned my sanity to be kayaking on such a day. These things though are hard to explain to the uninitiated.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the invite. Was a nice relaxing paddle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it Lee, turned out to be a nice little paddle.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had snowy conditions today, too. :) Maybe I'm more used to it, but... Got snowflakes right into my eye several times (it was windy as well, they came fast!), that was a special (strange!) feeling!!! Chilly in the eye!

    I envy those rocks with ice on it. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mia, that's one benefit of being half blind, I have to wear glasses and that keeps snow out of my eyes. Enjoy the snow when its in season and the heat too when it comes around.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete