Translate

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Refracting waves

Interference pattern

No big trip today, just some play time in confused seas.

The wind was blowing WNW for the last two days. It was blowing in directly over Bell Island. I expected organized seas but where we were the seas were choppy and confused. Waves were coming from both NW and SW directions. At first I was confused until I realized what was happening.

Westerly waves were refracting around the southerly and northerly ends of the island and meeting in an interference pattern on our side.

The mantra for the day was"loose hips".

Lumpy seas

Most waves were very modest as the wind had slowed considerably.

There's always a question of how high waves were. In this case, looking in the direction of Little Bell Island, without seeing the island, indicated the larger waves were at least 1 meter.

After a couple of hours Neville and I called it a day, satisfied we had wetted our craft.

4 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! I wish I were there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken, it was no problem paddling into the wind and waves. Easy to see what's coming. Paddling down wind a little different. Not challenging per se, just difficult to catch decent surf rides because of the crossing waves.

    Sometimes I'm just happy to get out and play without going anywhere in particular.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Great site! I'm trying to find an email address to contact you on to ask if you would please consider adding a link to my website. I'd really appreciate if you could email me back.

    Thanks and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Frank. Could you instead leave a link to your blog so I can check it out and add you to my favs.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete