Translate

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Taking a still from GoPro video


One of the benefits of the GoPro that appealed to me was the ability to extract still photos from the video.  It allows me to have stills of action in gnarly conditions when it might not be wise to take out a camera for a shot.

The instructions from the GoPro website states:

"How to Create a Still Image from Video Using GoPro Studio 


You can easily export a still image from your video file using GoPro Studio. Here is a procedure that details the process:

  1. Go to Step 2: Edit
  2. Select the desired video clip so that it is displayed in the Player window.
  3. Mac instructions - Place the playhead so that the frame you want to export is displayed in the player window, then selecting Share > Export Still.
  4. Windows Instructions - Place the playhead so that the frame you want to export is displayed in the player window, then selecting File > Export > Still Image.
  5. Then just select the image Name, Location and Size to Export (small, medium, large, & native) and click Export."

The only thing I found a bit confusing was Studio2 didn't see my videos where I downloaded them to a folder I created to receive the files.  Seems GoPro also downloaded the videos to the "My Videos" folder and navigating there the above instructions worked fine.

It is also possible to extract stills from the video during the editing of video by starting at Step 1 in Studio2.

P.S. I should have said to chose the "Blank Template" to get around the stock templates supplied by GoPro so you can get to the export picture phase.  I found that a bit confusing at first.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tony, you can get even better quality stills by setting up the camera to shoot a series of stills rather than video. This also saves filling your hard disk with video and it is much quicker to review a series of stills for that "just the right moment shot!" :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thanks Douglas, I was aware of that possibility. In fact, the two times I've used the camera so far I've ended up getting video and pictures even though I didn't know at the time how that happened. The problem probably stems from my impatience to use the camera before completely familiarizing myself with the manual *lol*

    The best option for your suggestion looks to be time lapse (?) at .5 or 1 second intervals but I got to check that to satisfy myself.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete