Translate

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Cleanliness is next to godliness

Suppertime (Hazen photo)

Wednesday evening I went to a KNL presentation of a trip by four guys along the south coast of Newfoundland. Partway through the trip one of the guys got violently ill and throwing up. He decided to take a ferry ride out and abandoned the trip.

I spoke to him afterwards inquiring as to what he thought brought on the illness. He was candidly honest - hygiene. Wow, I thought because its not something I've given a lot of thought to myself when I've been out kayak camping. The most I've done is rinse of pots and pans in salt water.

I discussed it with Craig on the drive home. He recounted his practices as a Scout leader. His rules start with washing hands before any cooking starts. After eating, dishes are washed first in hot soapy water, then a bath in a weak javex bath and then a rinse in clear water.

I've paddled the same coastline but I went anyway to show support for the club. I'm glad I did because I did learn something. I will certainly be more careful in future. Its worth the effort to avoid spoiling a perfectly good trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment