Translate

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Vas de problem?


So, Wednesday evenings have been ongoing since 2008.  Its an opportunity to practice skills in  supportive environment.  The past average turnout has been 8 - 10.


Two weeks ago it was just Shane and myself.  Maybe it was too cold and windy?


Last week only four showed up.  Maybe it was too warm in calm winds?


Last evening it poured rain out of the heavens beforehand and it was just Shane and me again.  Maybe it was too wet?

  
While we waited till 6:00 for other people to show up we did a few assisted rescues.  At 6:00 we realized no one else would be there so we went for a short paddle along the coast.


As we did it seemed to clear up but outside the wind shadow provided by the protecting cliffs we noticed the catabatic effect of the SE winds dropping over Topsail Head formed whitecaps.  The choice was return along the coast or paddle out into to the whitecaps and catch surf rides back.

We chose to ride the wind and waves back.  As we paddled out the wind increased to the point where it blew the tops off of the whitecaps.  Into it we ...


... turned for home and caught some super surf rides.  The waves were at the right frequency that catching one wave it was easy to ride and paddle onto the wave in front making for long, fast rides with the bow purling sending water up the foredeck and around the cockpit.

That's what everyone missed.  But the bigger question is, whether these practice sessions have run their course and outlived their usefulness?

8 comments:

  1. yeah, it certainly sounds like it has run its course and it's time to let it go....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there will be a core group that will continue on but for my part I'm considering stopping promoting it. Because of that, I feel obligated to show up every Wednesday but maybe from now on I may be more selective on when I'm there.

      I'll probably mail around to see what interest there is the day of.

      Delete
  2. Well before we tie the noose I think we should give it a few more weeks. It's still early in the year and hey as long as two ppl show up it's worth it ๐Ÿ˜‰ Look at all the fun we had! Good pics Tony and a great time surfing back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shane, I don't expect we'll stop with Wednesday evenings as there is a core group that's pretty regular. Its disappointing though that not everyone has the attitude of Jonathan Livingston Seagull. Anyone familiar with the story will know what I mean.

      Delete
    2. I guess this means that Shane is now Fletcher Lynd...

      Delete
    3. Good pick up by you Dean! I see you read the book!

      Delete
  3. Looks like I have a book to read to find out where I stand lol haha ๐Ÿ˜‰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, so Jonathan Livingston Seagull pushed the boundaries of flight for a gull. He returned to the flock to teach what he learned. Fletcher was his first student. You though are already well beyond the introduction. Dean was referring to when you first came to the group. So, you stand in high esteem!!!

      Delete