Translate

Sunday, February 22, 2015

On the mend in Bay Bulls


Last weekend I did not paddle.  The cold I've been fighting for six weeks was taking its toll so I opted for rest.  But, there's only so much standing on the sidelines I can take so today Brian, Dean and I met in Bay Bulls for a paddle.  It was cold but no wind actually made it feel comfortable.

The put-in was covered in snow and ice which meant I was able to do a seal launch without worrying about gelcoat.


We headed out on flat calm water with the sun trying to burn through the cloud cover.


In the inner harbour it was flat calm but some swell running in from the southeast began to make its effects felt the nearer we got to North Head.


It got choppy in the rebounding clapotis.


It did not feel cold but the snow and ice on the cliffs made sure we were reminded it was still winter ...


... which we felt with full effect as we turned south into the biting wind to cross the mouth of the harbour and to the south side of Bay Bulls.


Soon we were on the south side and amidst a bunch of sea stacks named Baboul Rocks.


Though open to the southeast swell, I was surprised is was as calm as it was making it enjoyable paddling through the stacks.


Departing Babou Rocks we entered the harbour proper paddling west along the south side where the cliffs were draped with icicles which ...


... I think adds interest to any seascape.


Back inside the inner harbour it was calm and peaceful again as we approached the takeout which ...






...  arrived at first to photograph Brian and Dean coming in also.

We put-in just after 9:00 and surprisingly we got back just at the stroke of midday.  Given an early end to the day's paddle we had time for coffee before heading home.

It was two weeks between paddles.  I missed it.  The cold still hangs on but I was getting my fix today, thanks to Brian and Dean.

No comments:

Post a Comment