Translate

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Foam on the water ... no fire in the sky tho

Last weekend I was out of town and consequently couldn't paddle.  I wanted to get back in my kayak after a two week hiatus.  Checking the forecast it was going to be windy.  The forecast was for SW winds in the am at 20 knots gusting to 30 picking up in the pm to 35 gusting to 60.  Ykes!  No day paddle for sure but a bounce in St. Philips was an option.  I was lucky to recruit Brian and Terry.

The plan was to paddle upwind as far as feasible and surf back:


We had a rain squall and the wind seemed to pick up.  The SW winds wrapped around the point and over the rocks:


The sun came out after the squall passed and we had a rainbow:


As the morning progressed the wind increased; waves got bigger.  Quick responses were necessary to counteract the sudden gusts or the roll was going to be tested:


The wind picked up to gusts I estimate at 40 knots.  As the waves crashed on the rocks the spray blew away in the wind:


After two hours it was time to call it a day.  My drive home was along the shore.  I looked out over the bay.  It was a mass of white.  We were off the water in time.

I checked the wind velocity when I walked in the door.  It was 35 knots gusting to 45.

No comments:

Post a Comment