Translate

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Three Nordkapps around Cape St. Francis


The paddle today was a rounding of Cape St Francis.  Capes are always fun; this one is interesting because north of the cape is nothing but open water to Greenland.  Therefore, best done in an onshore wind *lol*.

Dean, Des and I met at Bauline to set up the car shuttle to Pouch Cove (pronounced "pooch").  From there we'd paddle north the seven kms to the cape and then south back to Bauline.

We arrived in Pouch Cove.  We had to use the new slipway which, if a person was afraid of heights, would not be a lot of fun.  The angle was all of 45 degrees.


Dean and Des seal launched.  Dean was ready with camera in case I flubbed it and flipped.  Regretfully, I could not amuse him and did an elegant seal launch myself.

The Ocean Wave Model indicated 1 - 2 meter swell.  As it reached near shore I expected it would kick up a bit.  Wind was northerly but barely perceptible so there were no wind waves.  We were not disappointed as we were met with regular 2 meter waves, the larger topping in at almost three.


We were cruising along picking through the swell and the clapotis and in short order we were are Biscayne Cove Islands.  There is a shallow between the islands and the coast but it did not cause problems today so we passed between them.

Funny how a desire to stay upright results in a skewed picture but still only 5 degrees tilted.


Seven kilometers on we were at the cape.  Swell that was on our fore starboard quarter paddling north was expected to be on our beam as we paddled across the headland but as we turned it came from astern giving us a nice push.

Conditions dictated we stay offshore.  The seven kilometers from Pouch Cove is what I call open ocean paddling.


After rounding the cape we were heading west across Cripple Cove.  Ahead, Dean and I kept an eye on Cripple Cove Rocks.  Between it and the headland the water burst upwards in millions of aerated drops of water.  We went around, sadly without pictorial evidence of the conditions.


I came as close as I dared teasing the waves and staying just out of reach.


We were around the cape and into the placid waters of Conception Bay.  There was still some minor swell but nothing like the confused state coming out of Pouch Cove.


Looking south down the cliffs of the volcanic rocks of the Harbour Main Group.  This would be the view for the next 10 kilometers until we reached Bauline.


By passing a chance for a shower.


Dean and I paddled along shore whereas Des paddled well offshore.  Difficult to see but he is there, just a speck on the horizon.

Paddling in a straight line offshore is exercise for me.  Near shore with the sights and sounds of the land - water interface is what I prefer.


Dean got out in this little cove to answer the call of nature.  I had my back to him when I heard  him call out and turned to see his kayak drifting away.  I retrieved it for him but afterwards thought maybe I should have had salvage rights to a boat floating abandoned at sea?  Ah, but I can only use one Nordkapp at a time.


The sun threatened to come out behind us but ahead it was still ominous looking.  As it turned out the sun came out as we came around the far point and ...


... paddled into Bauline harbour.

It was a nice piece of work today at 18 kilometers that felt longer due to, in the first instance, the confused sea state coming out of Pouch Cove and secondly, we had no opportunity to get out to stretch our legs.  Three hours straight made three stiff paddlers taking out in Bauline.

We completed the car shuttle and pick-up.  Dean and I went for coffee.  Here are the breadcrumbs:


No comments:

Post a Comment