Translate

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

All alone, almost


Today I got off my bike and into my kayak for a solo trip to Kellys Island.  Putting in at Long Pond I surmised it was a good thing the pilot wasn't around because I wasn't in need of a pilot.


I left the put-in and started to make my way out of the harbour and past the industrial complex ...


... and into open water.  Destination for the day was Kellys Island 3 kms distant in front of my bow.



There was no wind and the temperature was inviting.  I settled into an easy pace and with the calm water my paddle strokes eased me into a Zen like state.  I thought I was all alone until I saw another kayaker off to port.  Judging by the distance apart I figured we'd reach the island about the same time and prepared to practice physical distancing.


Reaching the shore of Kellys we introduced and had a short chat across the water.  I said I was going to do a circumnavigation of the island.  Laura opted for a stretch and return to Long Pond.  Nice to see someone else on the water anyway.


There was no need to look up as the scenery was perfectly reflected in the mirror surface.


It was time to grab a bite to eat so I got out on this beach.  Before eating though I decided to climb up onto the height of land for the view.  My kayak looked like a splinter on the beach far below.


Continuing with my plan I came upon an interesting rock formation.  The darker rocks are a shale whereas the grey are siltstones.  The difference indicates a change in depositional environment, possibly a drop in sea level.


Spring was certainly in the air evidenced by the snow melt-water running off the land.

Rounding the south end and on the other side of the island I had a view of "The Bell" of Bell Island separated from the main island by a barely perceptible gap in the distance.

I touched the beach where I landed after crossing to complete the circumnavigation an headed back to Long Pond.  Here passing the buoy, red right return.

We live in strange times now but we can still adventure as long as we either go solo or make arrangements to keep our distance in a small group.

No comments:

Post a Comment