Translate

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

N means north

Looking north through the Tickle

Daughter Lana gave me a gift certificate from The Outfitters for Christmas. I knew immediately I wanted to buy a deck mounted compass so Santa Claus ponied up the difference and I went to buy it. It was a little un-nerving drilling holes into the fibreglass but I got it installed.

Today, I went down to St. Philips to try it out, to make sure I could see the numbers clearly and to make sure I had declination figured out.

Here the declination is, in round numbers 25 degrees W. That means the kayak would be pointed true north when the compass showed 25 degrees. I've decided to use 30 because its easier to see on the compass. Its a small difference but enough precision for me. If I was striking a course for Bristol, England I'd be more precise.

We all know the primary use for the compass but there are other compelling reasons to have a compass. One is it enables me to check the actual wind direction (rather than guestimate) with the forecast and if different, adjust my paddle plan.

Its a useful instrument and I think it doesn't look too bad either nestled in its designed place.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LyHZETb7mw

    I just carry a handheld myself, but it sure does come in handy when a fog rolls in quick.I have the recess for a deck compass, but like yourself am a bit weary of drilling holes in something Nigel Foster designed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, waiting for a foggy day now. I'm still going to keep carrying a handheld as a backup though.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete