Translate

Friday, November 27, 2009

Time to tally up

How many kayakers?

Kayak Newfoundland and Labrador had its Annual General Meeting last night. The agenda included presentations by the President and Treasurer.

Treasurer's Report was my duty. I made my living as an accountant and felt some obligation to apply those skills to the duty of the office. In the past the financial statements were presented on a cash basis and that's fine. My background made it possible to prepare the statements on an accrual basis. It ensures revenues and costs are applied to the fiscal year to which they relate.

Take the picture above. How many kayakers are in the picture? Do you count the kayaks partially in the picture? Its a bit like splitting hairs isn't it or a trick question. Something like accounting.

This accounting is all pretty dry stuff but necessary to account to the membership how the money was raised and spent.

Jesh, I thought I was getting away from debits and credits when I retired!

No comments:

Post a Comment