Translate

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Theory of acceptance


That would be me out for a paddle recently in Brigus South (Malcolm Rowe photo)

The theory goes that you should change the things you can and accept the things you can't. Today was one of those days when I just had to accept that I wasn't getting out for my almost ususal Tuesday paddle. I haven't missed many.

Today's burden was a job that just had to be done before the snow comes. It wasn't that bad as I made a first - my first success at cutting glass. Its one of those things that I've always looked upon as a bit of witchcraft. Cutting glass without breaking it up I thought was beyond me.

There were a number of kayak skills that I thought were beyond me at the start of the year, like the sculling balance brace. Its a bit like cutting glass, you just have to commit to it and trust yourself.

No paddle today but a wistful look back at an enjoyable day in Brigus South, Newfoundland with Malcolm and Stan. And, the prospect of more paddles yet this year.

Tony :-)

1 comment:

  1. Tony I agree with you like most times buddy. There is not much you really can't do if one just puts their mind to it. Sometimes easier said than done. I worked on mine at the pool with some help from Malcom. Coming along and I am fine with the paddle extended just a bit of a problem with my normal grip and one side seems a bit better than the other. More work and lots more to learn. Re-enter and rolls coming nicely though. You'll have to come out to a few sessions when the ice freezes. ;-)

    TTYL

    Stan

    ReplyDelete